while wearing sandals. Always wear
7. Do not pull mower backward unless
absolutely necessary. Always look
down and behind before and while
8. Never direct discharged material toward
anyone. Avoid discharging material
against a wall or obstruction. Material
may ricochet back toward the operator.
Release bail handle to turn mower
off and stop the blade when crossing
9. Do not operate mower without the
entire grass catcher, discharge guard,
rear guard, or other safety protective
devices in place and working.
Periodically check all guards and safety
protective devices to ensure they are
in good working order and will operate
properly and perform their intended
function. Replace a damaged latch,
guard or other safety device before
10. Never leave a running mower unattended.
11. Always release the bail handle to
stop the motor and wait until the blade
comes to a complete stop and remove
the safety key before cleaning the
mower, removing the grass catcher,
un-clogging the discharge guard, when
leaving the mower, or before making
any adjustments, repairs or inspections.
12. Operate mower only in daylight or good
artificial light when objects in the path
of the blade are clearly visible from the
operating area of the mower.
13. Do not operate mower while under the
influence of alcohol or drugs, or when
you are tired or ill. Always stay alert,
watch what you are doing, and use
14. Avoid dangerous environments. Never
operate mower in damp or wet grass,
never use mower in the rain. Always be
sure of your footing; walk; never run.
15. Disengage the drive system, if so
16. If the mower should start to vibrate
abnormally, release the bail handle, wait
for the blade to stop and remove the
safety key and battery pack, then check
for the cause immediately. Vibration is
generally a warning of trouble.
17. Always wear proper eye and
respiratory protection when operating
18. The use of any accessory or
attachment not recommended for use
with this mower could be hazardous.
Only use accessories approved by
19. Never overreach while operating the
mower. Always be sure to keep proper
footing and balance at all times while
operating the mower.
Slopes are a major factor related to slip
and fall accidents, which can result in
severe injury. Operation on all slopes
on a slope, do not mow it.
1. Mow across the face of slopes; never
up and down. Exercise extreme caution
when changing direction on slopes.
2. Watch for holes, ruts, bumps, rocks, or
other hidden objects. Uneven terrain could
cause a slip and fall accident. Tall grass
can hide obstacles.
3. Do not mow on wet grass or
excessively steep slopes. Poor footing
could cause a slip and fall accident.
4. Do not mow near drop-offs, ditches,
or embankments. You could lose your
footing or balance.
Tragic accidents can occur if the operator is
not alert to the presence of children. Children
are often attracted to the mower and the
mowing activity. Never assume that children
will remain where you last saw them.
1. Keep children out of the mowing area
and under the watchful care of a
responsible adult other than the operator.
2. Be alert and turn mower off if a child
enters the area.
3. Never allow children to operate the mower.
4. Use extra care when approaching blind
corners, shrubs, trees, or other objects
that may block your view of a child.
1. Never operate mower in a closed area.
2. Keep all nuts and bolts tight to be sure the
3. Never tamper with safety devices. Check
their proper operation regularly.
4. Keep mower free of grass, leaves, or
other debris build-up. Allow mower to
cool before storing.
5. If you strike a foreign object, release
bail handle to turn mower off, wait for
the blade to stop and remove the safety
key and battery pack, then inspect the
mower. Repair, any damage, before
starting and operating the mower.
6. Never make any adjustments or repairs
with the motor running or while the
safety key is in the mower.
7. Always remove safety key and battery
pack before adjusting, cleaning, repairing,
inspecting, transporting, storing or leaving
8. Check grass catcher components and