WARNING: IMPORTANT SAFETY WARNINGS AND INSTRUCTIONS
WARNING: When using gardening appliances, basic safety precautions should
always be followed to reduce risk of fire, electric shock, and personal injury, including the
WARNING: Some dust created by this product contains chemicals known to the State
of California to cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm. Some examples of
these chemicals are:
• compounds in fertilizers
• compounds in insecticides, herbicides and pesticides
• arsenic and chromium from chemically treated lumber
To reduce your exposure to these chemicals, wear approved safety equipment such as dust
masks that are specially designed to filter out microscopic particles.
WARNING: Wear appropriate personal hearing protection during use. Under some
conditions and duration of use, noise from this product may contribute to hearing loss.
READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS
• Before any use, be sure everyone using this garden appliance reads and understands all
safety instructions and other information contained in this manual.
• Save these instructions and review frequently prior to use and in instructing others.F
GENERAL SAFETY WARNINGS AND INSTRUCTIONS FOR ALL
• AVOID DANGEROUS ENVIRONMENT. Don’t use appliances in damp or wet locations.
Don’t use appliances in the rain.
• KEEP CHILDREN AWAY. All visitors should be kept at a distance from work area.
• STORE IDLE APPLIANCES INDOORS. When not in use, appliances should be stored
indoors in dry, and high or locked-up place – out of reach of children.
• DON’T FORCE APPLIANCE. It will do the job better and with less likelihood of a risk of
injury at the rate for which it was designed.
• USE RIGHT APPLIANCE. Do not use the appliance for any job except that for which it is
• DRESS PROPERLY. Do not wear loose clothing or jewelry. They can be caught in moving
parts. Rubber gloves and substantial, non-skid footwear are recommended when working
outdoors. Wear protective hair covering to contain long hair.
• USE SAFETY GLASSES AND OTHER SAFETY EQUIPMENT. Use safety goggles or
safety glasses with side shields, complying with applicable safety standards and, when
needed, a face shield. Also use face or dust mask if operation is dusty. This applies to all
persons in the work area. Also use a hard hat, hearing protection, gloves, safety shoes and
dust collection systems when specified or required. Safety glasses or the like are available
at extra cost at your local dealer or Black & Decker Service Center.
• DON’T ABUSE CORD. Never carry appliance by cord or yank it to disconnect from
receptacle. Keep cord from heat, oil, and sharp edges.
• DON’T OVERREACH. Keep proper footing and balance at all times.
• MAINTAIN APPLIANCE WITH CARE. Keep cutting edge sharp and clean for best
performance and to reduce the risk of injury. Follow instructions for lubricating and changing
accessories. Inspect appliance cord periodically and if damaged, have it repaired by
authorized service facility. Inspect extension cords periodically and replace if damaged.
Keep handles dry, clean, and free from oil and grease.
• DISCONNECT APPLIANCES. Disconnect the appliance from the power supply when not in
use, before servicing, and when changing accessories such as blades and the like.
• AVOID UNINTENTIONAL STARTING. Don’t carry plugged-in appliance with finger on
switch. Be sure switch is off when plugging in.
• GROUND FAULT CIRCUIT INTERRUPTER (GFCI) protection should be provided on the
circuits or outlets to be used for the gardening appliance. Receptacles are available having
built in GFCI protection and may be used for this measure of safety.
• STAY ALERT. Watch what you are doing. Use common sense. Do not operate appliance
when you are tired.
• CHECK DAMAGED PARTS. Before further use of the appliance, a guard or other part that
is damaged should be carefully checked to determine that it will operate properly and
perform its intended function. Check for alignment of moving parts, binding of moving parts,
breakage of parts, mounting and any other conditions that may affect its operation. A guard
or other part that is damaged should be properly repaired or replaced by an authorized
service center unless otherwise indicated elsewhere in this manual.
• USE OF ACCESSORIES AND ATTACHMENTS. The use of any accessory or attachment
not recommended for use with this appliance could be hazardous. Note: Refer to the
accessory section of this manual for further details.
• EXTENSION CORDS. Make sure your extension cord is in good condition. When using an
extension cord, be sure to use one heavy enough to carry the current your product will draw.
An undersized extension cord will cause a drop in line voltage resulting in loss of power and
overheating. The table below shows the correct size to use depending on cord length and
nameplate ampere rating. If in doubt, use the next heavier gauge. The smaller the gauge
number, the heavier the cord. To reduce the risk of disconnection of the appliance from the
extension cord during operation, use the extension cord retainer described in this manual.
WARNING: OUTDOOR USE EXTENSION CORDS To reduce the risk of electric
shock, use only with an extension cord intended for outdoor use, such as an extension cord
of type SW-A, SOW-A, STW-A, STOW-A, SJW-A, SJOW-A, SJTW-A, or SJTOW-A.
• REPAIRS AND SERVICE. Repairs, maintenance and any adjustments not specified in this
manual should be performed by Black & Decker authorized service centers or other qualified
service organizations, always using identical replacement parts.
IMPORTANT WARNINGS FOR STRING TRIMMERS
1. Use the proper size and type of cutting line. Do not use metal wire, rope or the like. Do
not use cutting line heavier than that recommended by the manufacturer. See the
accessory section of this manual for more detailed information about the proper cutting
line to use.
2. Keep the cutting line trimmed to the proper length (done automatically by the appliance).
Make sure that the guard is firmly in place, in working order and positioned between
yourself and the cutting line.
3. Wear long pants and substantial footwear to protect yourself from injury caused by flying
debris. This is especially important when edging with the appliance.
SAFETY WARNINGS AND INSTRUCTIONS: POLARIZED PLUGS
To reduce the risk of electric shock, this equipment has a polarized plug (one blade is wider
than the other). This equipment must be used with a suitable polarized 2 wire or 3 wire
extension cord. Polarized connections will fit together only one way. Make sure that the
receptacle end of the extension cord has large and small blade slot widths. If the plug does
not fit fully into the extension cord, reverse the plug. If it still does not fit, obtain a suitable
extension cord. If the extension cord does not fit fully into the outlet, contact a qualified
electrician to install the proper outlet. Do not change the tool plug or extension cord in any
VEA EL ESPAÑOL EN LA CONTRAPORTADA.
SAVE THIS MANUAL FOR FUTURE REFERENCE.
INSTRUCTIVO DE OPERACIÓN, CENTROS DE SERVICIO Y PÓLIZA DE GARANTÍA.
ADVERTENCIA: LÉASE ESTE INSTRUCTIVO ANTES DE USAR EL PRODUCTO.
CAT. NO. ST4500, ST7600, ST7700 FORM NO. 90518515 REV. 1
Copyright © 2007 Black & Decker NOV. ‘07 Printed in China
BEFORE RETURNING THIS PRODUCT
FOR ANY REASON PLEASE CALL
BEFORE YOU CALL, HAVE THE CATALOG No. AND DATE CODE AVAILABLE. IN MOST CASES, A
BLACK & DECKER REPRESENTATIVE CAN RESOLVE THE PROBLEM OVER THE PHONE. IF YOU HAVE A
SUGGESTION OR COMMENT, GIVE US A CALL. YOUR FEEDBACK IS VITAL TO BLACK & DECKER.
KEY INFORMATION YOU SHOULD KNOW:
• Attach guard before trimming or edging.
• Angle tool slightly (10° to 30°) when trimming.
Minimum Gage for Cord Sets
Volts Total Length of Cord in Feet
120V 0-25 26-50 51-100 101-150
(0-7,6m) (7,6-15,2m) (15,2-30,4m) (30,4-45,7m)
More Not more American Wire Gage
0-6 18 16 16 14
6 - 10 18 16 14 12
10 - 12 16 16 14 12
12 - 16 14 12 Not Recommended
(10° TO 30°)
(10° À 30°)
(10° A 30°)
SAFETY GUIDELINES - DEFINITIONS
It is important for you to read and understand this manual. The information it contains
relates to protecting YOUR SAFETY and PREVENTING PROBLEMS. The symbols below
are used to help you recognize this information.
DANGER: Indicates an imminently hazardous situation which, if not avoided, will result
in death or serious injury.
WARNING: Indicates a potentially hazardous situation which, if not avoided, could
result in death or serious injury.
CAUTION: Indicates a potentially hazardous situation which, if not avoided, may result
in minor or moderate injury.
CAUTION: Used without the safety alert symbol indicates a potentially hazardous situation
which, if not avoided, may result in property damage.